I finally found a bit of time to sew today, in between yard work, housework, and child rearing. I'm thrilled to report that I whipped out two pillowcase dresses (more on those another day) and a pair of shorts for River.
I have no recollection of buying this RV fabric but I love, love, love it. It has been at the top of my "must use soon" pile for far too long.
The shorts were created using Made's Kids Pants pattern. That too has been sitting in the "must use soon" pile for far too long.
The pattern comes with pants front and back pieces, each using three sheets of paper. I left off the last page, the bottom of the pants, to turn these into shorts. That seemed to give a good just-below-the-knee length.
Of course, I didn't read any directions. So what I'm about to say may be complete foolishness to anyone who actually reads the instructions that come with a pattern.
These pants aren't quite long enough in the rise for River. He's still in a diaper, which adds bulk at the crotch and rear end, and I didn't take that into consideration. Also, I don't have a serger so I had to fold the top seam down twice. Adding about an inch to the top would give him the room he needs.
Also, I should have made them a little wider when I decided to make shorts. They could stand to be a little looser. I've made that mistake before and should have known better.
I lined the back pocket with white muslin, just to make it sturdier. It is triple stitched onto the pants. No reason, it just seemed to be the thing to do at that moment.
I can't wait to make these again. Very simple, almost foolproof.
Thanks so much, Dana of Made, for the wonderful pattern.