front of quilt 1
back of quilt 1
front of quilt 2
back of quilt 2
The quilts are made from hockey jerseys. There are two quilts, one for each son, and they were commissioned by a friend of mine. She's been collecting the jerseys since her boys were little, they are now both adults and these were given as Christmas presents.
I have to admit that when I started these I was worried. I've never sewn with a fabric like this before and I had no idea what I was in for. I've worked with knits and cottons, but never this smooth slippery mesh stuff.
I interfaced all the squares after cutting them (most are 16" by 16") with fusible interfacing and used heat-and-bond to attach a piece of the solid blue fabric to the backs of squares that were a really loose mesh fabric (like the green #55 squares in quilt 2). After doing that I had no problem at all working with or sewing the fabrics.
I didn't want to mess with the squares of fabric too much for fear of altering the look of the logos when I was doing the quilting so I used an inexpensive blanket in each quilt instead of batting (don't shun me ... the shirts were already not 100% cotton). That allowed me to do much less quilting if I chose to. After stitching in the ditch along the sashing I opted to sew additional squares at each of the corners, on one quilt I did them on the diagonal, on the other I did not.
On the backside I used some extra pieces and some longer pieces that didn't fit on the front. And I used a Speedo for one square - one son used to be a diver and Mom, who has an awesome sense of humor, thought that would be hilarious.
This turned into such a fun project and I'm so glad I was asked to do it.