I got the idea for this in my head after seeing something similar but very different here. Once the idea had rooted (oh, and it rooted!) it took on a life of its own, as is often the case.
I really, really want to love this. But I don't. I kind of like it, but I don't love it. I'm ok with that, because I have every intention of trying again, but I really, really wanted to love this!
What I like about it:
- the pleats, they make me swoon
- the fabrics, more swooning
- the inside, nice and roomy and of fun, sturdy Ikea star fabric (that was on clearance for $1.99 yard)
What I don't love about it:
- not enough contrast between the two pleat fabrics, I love the look of the pleats but it's easy to miss as the fabrics blend together
- it's too big, I'm a small purse person and this is a hair too much for me (this is somewhat fixable - making the base deeper will make the bag slightly shorter and narrower)
- it needs an unpleated band or layer of fabric at the top, for balance and to make it easier to sew to the inside and lining, I destroyed two needles topstitching the top
- it needs a little shape at the top, which would be easy to do when adding another fabric
- the yo-yo is way too small, it was an afterthought to cover up an oops (forgot to topstitch on one side, so added the flower to create a "front", as opposed to the untopstitched back)
I've already worked up and done the measurements for #2 in my head. More contrast, slightly different dimensions.
Once I get it "just right" I'll post a pattern and tutorial. Kind of a New Year's gift.