I got this absolutely beautiful fabric in the mail the other day, from Hancock's (it was on sale), and just had to get started on it.
I sewed the quilt top and added the decorative stitching. All was well and good.
And then ... a butterfly. I had to add a big butterfly, what would be more girly than a pretty minky-soft butterfly on the quilt? So I made my quilt, Heat 'n Bond, interfacing, minky fabric sandwich of a butterfly and pressed it all together. Voila, all good to go!
And then I started to sew. And the needle gummed up. Hmm ... Clean the needle, keep going. Skipping stitches, gummy needle ... mess. I used Heat 'n Bond Ultra instead of Lite. Got online and googled "sewing heat 'n bond ultra gum help" and got nothing, except for why I shouldn't use the Ultra if I'm going to sew. Oh, and how the machine might be ruined by all the gummy gluey mess. My machine is fussy enough, I'm not going to give it a reason to screw up!
Now I have a quilt with a partially-sewn butterfly sticking to it like a sore thumb. It won't come off, can't be sewn on as far as I can tell, grrr....
I have a plan though, which involves cutting the good parts of the quilt into rectangles and alternating them with white chenille. It might work, it might not.
I'm frustrated with myself because, even through a fog of cold medicine, I tried to do this right. I really gave it a lot of thought and care ... and then made a silly stupid unfixable mistake.
Hopefully, there will be a Part II to this quilt!