I collected black and white prints for a long time with the intention of putting them together for a quilt. Finally I had enough to work with and this quilt was born.
The idea for the quilt came from the stars made for the Bushfire Quilt Project. While I was making the squares I donated I knew I'd eventually use the star technique to make a quilt of wonky maverick stars ... it's fun, easy, and looks awesome in the end. I had a few different ideas in my head for the black and white fabrics and the star idea won out in the end, though I expect I'll try a few others too.
Very simply, the stars are crafted from white or on-white fabrics, the backgrounds from black or on-black. I alternated darker and slightly lighter background squares. The border is white with black swirls, and the binding is black with white.
The quilting is done "in the ditch" on the stars and about 3/8" on both sides of the edges of the background fabrics. I used white thread around the stars, and black on the edges.
The backside is squares of black and white fabrics.
These pictures were taken on the side of the road by an industrial park. I stopped, jumped out of the car, hung the quilt and snapped away, and then hurried off again ... all the while being watched by a couple of guys on bicycles. I'm sure they had no idea what the crazy woman (me) was doing. Sigh ...