This is the fourth finished quilt from my collection of quilt tops.
I learned so much making this sweet quilt.
First I was reading isew.biz's blog post about her presser feet and it dawned on me that perhaps it's time I learned how to work my new machine, since I have many presser feet that I've never used because I have no idea what I'd use them for. I called the sewing machine store to get into the class for the machine ... since I no longer have my store it should now be a piece of cake to schedule the class, right? They only offer it once a month and the earliest I can take it, because of commitments, is October. Geez ... and I thought I was slowing down.
In the meantime, can you see the free motion quilting on this quilt? I did that. When I bought my machine I got this thing for free, the Pfaff Fabric Mover with Stitch Regulator, that's supposed to make free motion quilting a breeze. As I've mentioned before I stink at free motion quilting ... so much so that I swore I'd never ever do it again. But this pretty quilt was just calling for a stippled design, straight lines seemed too harsh for her. For some reason, after the post on presser feet I felt motivated to figure the thing out. I'd tried it once before and didn't like it much. But I. and I sat down and watched the included video, I practiced a lot on scraps of fabric, and I thought I'd give it a shot. It really does regulate the stitches as long as the fabric isn't moved too fast. The thing took some getting used to and even after finishing the quilting I felt I was just getting the hang of it, but it sure did make things easier. And now I can do basic free motion quilting.
As I was finishing the quilting and getting ready to do the binding I came across this post and loved, loved, loved the look of the wavy edges. I begged my oldest daughter (who just finished geometry) and my husband to make a templete for me. And they both ran the other way. I made my own out of an old cutting mat, utilizing a large bowl, a plate, and the biggest pot I could find. And, after a bit of trial and error, it worked. In the future I believe I'll make the corners a bit larger, they got a little funky when I sewed the backside of the binding. Overall, I'm really pleased with the results.
The backside is three pieces of fabric also used in the frontside. The quilt measures about 40" by 48". (The colors in the top image are the most accurate.)